My own epicurial adventures in Vancouver

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

La Vallee

La Vallee
1379 Howe Street
2nd Floor Executive Hotel
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2R5
(604) 696-6980

Yes…this place has seriously turned into my second kitchen. And I SWEAR it’s not only the fact that my bf works there and one of my best friends in the server! Okay maybe a bit…but La Vallee is really a wonderful restaurant. I mean if it wasn’t, would I have taken my ENTIRE family there for dinner the other night????

Well I do eat here a lot so I can really say I know what their food quality is like. Usually, I like to eat off the menu (basically getting Richard to grill me some vegetables) but once in a while, especially during dine out, I get to eat their main courses and the food at this place is just as good as any other place in Vancouver! My favourite/staple item is defiantly their lentil soup. It’s hearty, yummy and DELICIOUS! They add a bit of bacon into the mix and it really adds some great flavour to it.

Okay so many of you maybe wondering about their dine out menu. Well I can safely say that every item on it is great! How do I know? Well I took my entire family there on the first day of dine out…all 8 of us. And we had a sampling of everything they offered and the consensus was that everything tasted great! The appies included a crab bisque and a mushroom ravioli. I had the bisque and it was sensational. I tad on the salty side but no one else had that complaint so maybe it’s just me. The people who had the ravioli really liked it too so the appies are a hit!

Their signature dish is their braised short ribs, courtesy of Greg Short, a celebrity chef from the Masa Grill in San Francisco. This is one of the items on their dineout menu and it is defiantly not to be missed. The meat basically falls off the bone and the sauce is just divine! It’s served with a mashed potato, which I think has some sort of secret ingredient to it cuz my aunt just LOVED it! The game hen was also very very delicious. The meat was tender and the honey balsamic sauce that comes with it is just to die for! The coolest thing was that there was a piece of bak choy served as part of their vegetable medley! Hahhaha! Gotta love the bak choy! I never had the salmon but my step dad had it and he the taste was great. He even liked it more than the salmon he had at Seasons in the Park the day before!

As for dessert, there was a choice between poach pear and the cheese plate. The pear was delicious and a great way to end the meal. But since my whole family came and it was my cousin and my mom’s birthday, they gave us one of their molton chocolate cakes too! A few of use had the wine parings for each course and I had the dessert wine paring and that was just the yummiest wine ever!

For $25, this is a steal! Not only are you getting a great dinner but the restaurant itself is just comfy and beautiful and just makes you want to linger over a glass of wine. The feel of the restaurant is suppose to reflect Napa Valley and I think they really did a good job of it. The servers are all pretty new so sometimes, they may miss a step or two but what they lack in experience, they more than make up for it in personality and attitude. Okay so I know you all may think I’m just being biased to this place and maybe I am. But I know good food and this place does serve great food! Go check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.

Oh and to make it even more enticing, they provide free valet parking for restaurant guests! Free parking in downtown! It’s totally worth giving it a shot!

No comments: