My own epicurial adventures in Vancouver

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gastropod - DOV

Gastropod – DOV
1938 W. 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC

Well if you’ve been keeping up, you know that I did not have a great experience at Gastropod the last time I went. Yes I know this place won tons of awards; yes I know Angus Ang is like the second coming of Rob Feenie; and yes I know Chef Ang and the entire team at Gastropod has been invited to cook at the James Beard House in Manhattan (http://urbandiner.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/from-the-dept-of-press-releases-4/#more-2067), but I just did not like my food last time!

So this time around, I was determined to make the right choices and see if all the talk is just fluff or if something is seriously wrong with my pallet! I went with Richard and another couple on the last night of dine out and was hoping for some great things. As usual, I was pouring over the menu to see what I was going to order. When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised to see that on top of the menu online, they had some additions available (for some extra $$ of course). I stuck to what I had chosen and went with the Gastropod grilled salad, the sous vide/braised pork, and the ice milks. Richard chose to have one of the additions as a starter, scallops with pancetta, the pork and the chocolate sabayon.

Well the food came and this time, I was defiantly eating with a critical eye, no mouth. And I was pleasantly surprised. The salad was just delicious. I love eggplant and they had grilled eggplant with the salad which just made the dish for me. The dressing was very flavorful but not too heavy and oily. So a good start!

The main course was a pork done sous vide style. Well online it said it was a 36 hour pork shoulder sous vide but on the actual menu, it was just a piece of braised pork. Regardless, it’s almost the same cooking method. The dish looked great and I was excited about this but when I cut into the pork, I knew right away that this was not braised or sous vide. They defiantly pan fried or roasted the meat before platting. Braising is suppose to make the meat very tender but this meat was not. It was still good but it was a bit dry and a bit tough. Richard couldn’t even finish his piece but I finished mine alright. The thing is, if it’s not going to be braised, then don’t advertise it as such. Okay maybe they did braise it first and then roasted it but say so! Plus why would you do that anyways? It just completely takes away from the braising process. Regardless, I though the pork was pretty good. The flavours were all there and I could tell it was a good piece of meat. Maybe someone just forgot it in the oven and left it there for too long…

For dessert, I had the ice milks and it was very refreshing. I would normally order something heavier but after eating out 4 nights in the past week, I thought I should be good. The ice milks came in a trio, with pineapple, grape and banana flavour. My favourite was defiantly the banana but they were all good. Basically it was just sorbet but maybe they did add a touch of milk to it. The chocolate sabayon was pretty good too as was the cheesecake (as I was told). But the portions were pretty small :P

In all, it was a pretty good meal. We had a bottle of Joie reisling and that went with the meal perfectly! Was it the best dine out menu? No…that distinction defiantly goes to Lumiere but it wasn’t the worse (that goes to Aurora). It still wasn’t at the level I expected Gastropod to be but I guess at least it’s getting better. I’ll come back again and hopefully by then I will get blown away. You know…maybe it’s all a build up to the ultimate experience. Well I can’t wait until I get to that!

No comments: