My own epicurial adventures in Vancouver

Friday, September 28, 2007

Bridges Restaurant










1696 Duranleau Street
Vancouver, B.C.
Granville Island

Sorry to break it to you all but City Dine is officially over (boo)…Well I guess we’ll have to console ourselves with the fact that Dine Out is just a few short months away. But amidst my super, duper, busy schedule (yeah right!), I was able to fit one of those special dinner menus in this past week. And the lucky restaurant? Bridges in Granville Island! *ding ding ding ding ding*
Bridges is nestled at the end of Granville Island, right on False Creek between the Burrard and the Granville Street bridge (duh! Bridges…) and it offers 2 very different dining experiences. The bottom floor is a casual bar/dinner room setting, great for grabbing a bite and throwing back a few beers. But walk upstairs and you are brought into a world of mahogany wood, chandeliers and oak furniture. It’s a really classy joint but it’s a bit weird to enter a casual place and then be brought upstairs to a fancy dining establishment. :P
I went this past Tuesday with Richard and we dined upstairs in the formal dining room with a beautiful view of False Creek. When you’re sitting there in this beautiful dining room with a view of Vancouver out in front of you on a beautiful day, it really is just a wonderful experience. We both ordered the off the $35 city dine menu. As part of this San Pellingrino City Dine, we got a bottle of the water for free. I started off with a thai green curry prawn, while Richard got the scallops. We also ordered a “lettuce wrap” to start. Oh before I forget, the bread they give you there is just delicious! I don’t usually eat bread but when they brought it to our table, you can just tell that it was fresh and soft and…well I just had to try a bite. And it was well worth it! Flavored with rosemary and sea salt, the bread was just perfect! But on to the actual meal.
Well the 2 starters we got as part of the Dine Out menu was sensational!!! The scallops were huge and seared to perfection! The thai curry prawns that I got was just great too! Hmm hmm delicious! Well like I said, we ordered the dine out menu plus a starter of a ahi tuna lettuce wrap. Well funnily enough, the most disappointing part of the meal came from the item NOT on the cheap menu! First off, it wasn’t really a lettuce wrap. It’s more like a shredded lettuce wrapped in a rice sheet with a piece of ahi tuna inside. Like I said, not very sensational.




For the main, I got a braised lamb shank and Richard on the spinach ricotta cannelloni. Richard was sure that his cannelloni was gonna be pretty small and that he’d only get like 1 or 2 piece. Well was he wrong! In a good way! He got 3 pieces of cannelloni and it was delicious! My braised lamb shank was actually quite dry…I mean it was good but definitely dry…some parts were just kinda hard. L Pretty disappointing I must say but the taste was good. I think they used a chocolate reduction sauce and it added a really cool taste to the lamb.
For dessert, I got a tiramisu and Richard got the New York cheesecake. Yummo! It was the perfect way to end the meal. The portion we got was just amazing! But honestly, the portions we got for every dish was great! Totally worth the $35 we paid! Bridges is usually a pretty expensive high end place so this was a great treat!





Let me just say, I was very very happy with this meal! Not only was the food delicious, but the portions were amazing! Okay…so the “lettuce wrap” was a bit disappointing but that was our own fault…ordering off the normal a la carte menu…pffttt!!! Wutever! Definitely gonna go back to this place…but maybe only for Dine Out! ;)

Ps. Pictures of the food to come!

PPS. Pics are here!

No comments: